Butter beans are a favorite in my household. I love how meaty they’re and I’m not a bloated, farting mess after eating them.
I still soak them overnight because I feel like that reduces flatulence despite cooking them in my Instant Pot. These beans are done in 25 minutes in the Ipot with a slow release of 25 minutes.
I served them with creamy spinach and cumin basmati rice. Here’s my office lunch bowl before i packed it up.
Butter Beans With Cashew Cream
- 2 cups butter beans
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 3 ripe tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- Cook your presoaked butter beans in your pressure cooker. You can flavor your beans while they're boiling. Add garlic, cumin seeds, onion or bay leaves.
- I use my Instant Pot and cook them for 25 mins on high pressure with a natural release of 25 mins.
- Add two tablespoons vegetable oil to a pot, add onion and saute until almost browning. Add mince garlic and leeks (optional).
- When garlic is fragrant add some tomato paste and 3 blended tomatoes. Add your spices at this point, cover your pot and let your tomatoes cook until sauce has thickened.
- Add the boiled beans, 1.5 cup of veggie stock, to keep it fully vegetarian and simmer for 10 mins. Taste for salt and add accordingly followed by the cashew cream. Cook your beans on low for another 5 minutes.
- Garnish with some coriander.
- For the cashew cream
- I soak a handful of cashews in boiling water for an hour, drain then blend with water and salt until smooth. You can use whatever ratio depending on your desired thickness.
- This is the base for my cashew cream but you can add any flavorings you want. I use cashew cream if I'm out off coconut milk or coconut cream or at times i'm not really feeling that coconut flavor.
All Rights Reserved Treats By Muthoni.